Thursday, July 30, 2009

I Am A Garbage Picker!

About five or six years ago, we bought our house. I wasn't
so crazy about it at first. The walls were all done in
wood paneling, and I must admit, I felt like I had entered
some sort of a lodge.
We looked at the house a few times before we made
an offer on it. Each time I tried to see the possibilities.
I tried to appreciate the large rooms,
high ceilings, and clever use of space
that the Arts and Crafts era bungalow offered.
Eventually we bought the house, but the
one room I continued to hate was
the kitchen.
Notice the red and white checked floor.
The walls were covered in a cream and brown tile,
and of course paneling.
The weekend I went to Maine,
Jon painted the cupboards a bright red to
match the floors and the Coca Cola
stuff that I had.
It made the room look so much better.
Then he painted the rest of the
kitchen. He covered the tile with a bright
white paint.
He covered the paneling with a robin's egg blue paint.
The room was transformed.
We ordered a bright red sink and some
boomerang patterned Formica.
Our kitchen has become fun.
I've always wanted the kitchen to be warm,
inviting, and groovy. I think we're on our way.
Tonight, while we were eating dinner,
I noticed one of our neighbor's carrying the
above step chair
outside to the curb to throw away.
The blue caught my eye.
I dashed from the dinner table and ran across the street.
It's official, I'm a garbage picker. He let me take the chair.
I cleaned it up, tightened the screws, and voila! Almost
like new.
Now I'm on the hunt for a Formica topped
table from the '50's.
Who knows, maybe someone will throw one out, and
I can make a career of garbage picking!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home