Thursday, February 26, 2009

The week of Scones

About a month ago, I found this cook book from Ireland
It was in a used book store near my parents' house.
I love to cook, so I was very curious about the
recipes.
One of the recipes was for scones.
On Tuesday, I decided to make scones for breakfast.
Let me tell you, Irish scones are very utilitarian.
They are hard, and not too sweet. They're filling.
Good with butter, but they aren't sweet.
This morning, I decided to try a different scone recipe.
Not from Ireland.
I made some pumpkin scones.
They were delicious. Sweet, moist, yummy. They even have
frosting.
Here's the recipe:
1c. flour
1c. whole wheat flour
1-1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. kosher salt
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. cloves
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1/4 c. butter (cold)
1/3c. pumpkin puree
1/4c. light brown sugar firmly packed
1/3c. half and half
1tsp. vanilla extract
For Glaze:
Powdered sugar
milk
vanilla flavoring
What to do:
Pre-heat the oven to 425. In a large bowl, whisk together the flours, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, cloves, and nutmeg. I have a Kitchen Aid so I just put all of this
in the bowl with the wire whisk attachment.
Cut the cold butter into little chunks. If you don't have a Kitchen Aid, use
a pastry cutter to incorporate the butter until it is small and crumbly in the flour mixture.
In a medium bowl, whisk together the remaining
ingredients. Add them to the flour mixture.
Mix until a crumbly dough appears.
Turn out onto a floured surface and knead a few times
until dough is smooth. Add more flour if dough is too
sticky. Pat into an oval about 1/2" thick and cut into 8 slices.
Bake the slices on parchment lined baking sheets
for about 13-15 minutes.
When cooled frost with glaze.
Hope you enjoy these scones. My kids loved them.


2 Comments:

Blogger mrsjdt said...

You never cease to amaze me.

February 27, 2009 at 10:50 PM  
Blogger Ree said...

You are making me hungry! :)

March 9, 2009 at 11:27 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home