Thursday, February 5, 2009

Pop Tarts

K. has loved Pop Tarts since he was four.
We used to take them with us when we were visiting the kids.
We would try to pack things to feed them in the hotel
if they got hungry.
One time, we brought Pop Tarts. He fell in love.
He would always ask us, "Jon, Jennie, would you bring me
Top Tarts when you come again?"
He was hooked.
Last week, I was talking with my mom, and she told
me about a recipe she had seen to make home made Pop Tarts.
Wow! I thought. Home made. It never really
crossed my mind to do that.
Then I thought, why not.
I will never eat a store bought Pop Tart again.
Well, maybe not never. I may be in a hurry, or in the
mood. These home made Pop Tarts are decedent.
Here's the recipe:
2c. flour
1T. sugar
1t. salt
1c. unsalted butter (cut into pats)
1 large egg
2T. milk
Cinnamon Filling
1/2c. brown sugar
1 1/2t. ground cinnamon, to taste
4t. flour
1 large egg, beaten, to brush on before filling
What to do:
Whisk the dry ingredients together. Work the butter until the mixture holds
together when you squeeze it. I put all of this into my Kitchen Aid mixer, and it worked great.
Mix the eggs and milk and add it to the dough. Mix until everything
is blended.
Roll the dough out. Use an index card as a guide and cut out rectangles.
Make sure you have an even amount. Brush the beaten egg onto
one rectangle, and then spread with the filling (oh, I forgot a step, mix the filling) onto
the rectangle. Cover the rectangle with another one.
Use a fork to seal the two pieces of dough. Poke holes
into the top of the pastry. Repeat this with all of
the dough.
Refrigerate the assembled tarts for about thirty minutes. Preheat your oven
to 350 degrees. Bake the tarts on a parchment
lined baking sheet for 25-30 minutes.
Let cool and enjoy.
You can also fill the tarts with jam. My mom
thought of peanut butter and some chocolate chips. We might try that next.
Anyway, these pop tarts are delicious! Hope you
enjoy them.

1 Comments:

Blogger Ree said...

Yum! We'll have to try those! :)

February 5, 2009 at 9:57 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home