Wednesday, January 27, 2010

His Strength Is Perfect

Adopting older children has been one of
the most rewarding experiences of my life.
It has also been one of the most challenging.
Our children were four and five when we met them.
They had memories and experiences in
their lives that happened before they met us.
They had pains and joys that we never shared.
Our first year with them was very, very challenging.
Before we met them, they were considered hard to place.
That label was because of their age, race, and behaviors.
There were many times, that first year, when
I wondered what on earth we were doing.
There were times when I wondered if we had made a mistake,
if we should send them back, if pets might be a better
option. Each time the Lord provided
the strength I lacked.
Each time, God would remind me that He gave me my
children. He had a purpose for their lives and
for our family. He brought all of us through that
first year. He daily renewed my strength.
Behaviors continued, but not as many and not as frequently.
This past month has been very hard with the kids. They've reverted
into a lot of their old behaviors. I'm already at the end
of my rope emotionally, and there are days
when I feel like I can't hold on. There are days,
like today, when I again ask God, "Maybe pets really
would have been a better option for us. Maybe
you made a mistake."
Today, he gently reminded me that
His strength is perfect, when my strength is gone.
I was reminded, again, that God makes no mistakes, that
this time will pass. That one day these dark days will be over, and
that the children He brought to us were the right
children for us. How thankful I am for my
Heavenly Father and for the two children
that He brought into my life. What a gift
they are.

1 Comments:

Blogger Ree said...

Hang in there! You are such a good mama! :) Feel free to send them over if you need some time to yourself!

January 29, 2010 at 12:59 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home