Saturday, January 23, 2010

Biscuits, Chowder, and Some Knitting

This past week has been crazy. The kids missed a lot
of school when my Mom was sick and then after she died. Because I'm not
relaxed enough to do "unschooling", I've spent a lot of this week
trying to get them to where I would like them to be, school wise.
Fridays are still fun, even with a ton of school work, and because
of their really hard work, I decided to make a meal I know they love.
One of their favorites is clam chowder with biscuits.
I have a great chowder recipe, but my biscuits are never very good.
I'm always on a search for great biscuits.
Enter the Internet. By typing flaky, buttery biscuits into Google I found
the most delicious biscuit recipe ever. They look funny,
because they are square, but they taste GREAT.
The clam chowder recipe is a favorite. My Mom and I love clam chowder,
and while I was in college, she would always make this for me when
I came home. When I married, I would make it for her when
she came up to visit, or she would make it for
me when I went down to visit. Dad doesn't eat clam chowder, so
it was a special treat that we shared. The kids, and Jon, love
the chowder, so I'm happy to still be making it.
One of the last weeks of her life, I made a pot of the chowder and
brought it to her. She couldn't eat very much of it, but
she still loved it.
Throughout all the business of the week, I was able to
finish a sparkly scarf and matching white hat. I love
to knit, so I was glad that I had the time
to finish this project. Now I'm starting another scarf,
this one for Jon. Next, I think I'll make a sweater for the Big K. with
some of my stash yarn. Hope you're all enjoying a fun and relaxing weekend
with your loved ones. I know that I am.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home