Wednesday, February 3, 2010

A Visit From Dubai

About six months ago, my brother left for Dubai.
I was not happy. My Mother was kind and
understanding. I hoped that when he came
back, Mom would still be here to listen
to all he had to tell about
his time.
She wasn't.
This week, my brother is home on vacation.
He chose to come up here to spend time
with the kids. Shortly before she died,
my Mom shared with him how much
he meant to the kids. He listened. He's done a lot
to make himself available to be with the Big K. and Doodles.
One evening, after dinner, he brought out all sorts of stuff that
he brought with him from Dubai.
He showed them maps and money.
He explained what each coin meant and what it was worth.
He showed them where he lives
in Dubai, and told them about the weather and the people.
The kids were fascinated. They sat for almost two hours listening
to everything he told them. They asked about
a million questions, and he
took the time to answer each and every one.
He also brought them special presents
that he'd picked out just for them.
He told them why he chose each gift, and where
the gifts had come from.
The Big K. loves animals, and Tio picked out a hand
carved camel with a baby camel inside. The wood was palm tree
wood. I found out, that that's the only type of trees there are in Dubai.
He also brought the Big K. a box with a snake
in it. You hit a button, the snake pops out.
He brought Doodles bunches of bracelets.
He explained how they
were made and where he found them.
He also gave her a ring. He answered all of her questions about the ring
and the stone inside. The gifts were perfect.
The visit was wonderful and bitter sweet.
I couldn't help but think how much my Mom would have loved to
hear about Tim's travels. She would have loved
to see the coins and the gifts he brought for us.
Most of all, she would have been so proud of him. Proud of him
for remembering how important he is to the kids, how much
they love him, and how needed he is.
I was so very happy to be able to spend the time with him.
Thank you for coming home Tim. I can't wait to see you again in
six months.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home