Wednesday, August 25, 2010

My Birthday Girl

I met her for the first time when she was five.
I remember what she was wearing, how she was
acting, and what we did.
I remember the night that the case worker called to tell
us about her. She was considered "difficult",
a "challenge", "behavioral".
Words used to describe a child that had been hurt,
betrayed, lied to by adults.
Words to describe someone afraid to love.
I don't know how it feels to hold a baby you've just given
birth to. I do know how it feels to look into the eyes of a child
who has lost hope but dares to hope you'll become a family.
The moment I met her, I loved her. I wanted to get
to know her, care for her, protect her.
I wanted to be her mother.
For four years, I have had the privilege of watching
my daughter grow. I have seen her grow from a
hurt, angry, aggressive child into a kind,
compassionate, loving young lady.
I've held her as she's cried for a family that couldn't
care for her. I've shared the story of how
we came to care for her.
I love her more each and every day. I love her more than
I love my own life.
I would do anything for her.
I look forward to watching her grow into the beautiful
woman of God that she is becoming.
I am thankful that out of all the women in this world,
God chose me to be her Mom. What a gift.
What a responsibility. What a blessing.
Being her Mom is a job that I love,
cherish, and enjoy.
Happy Birthday sweet Doodle Bug. You
have brought me so much joy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home