Monday, September 21, 2009

One Phone Call From Our Knees

One of my favorite things about
living in the North East is the beautiful
change of seasons.
Fall has always been my favorite.
I love the change of leaves,
the cool nip to the morning air,
the promise of baking and holidays to come.
We've tried to take our kids to pick
apples every year.
This weekend we took our annual trek
to our local orchard.
We rode the hay wagon out to the
back of the farm. We enjoyed the
cool breeze and the bright sunlight
as we picked apples off of the tree.
We even enjoyed eating an apple or two.
It was so much fun to see how much
the kids have grown, and to get to see
them participating in our
"family tradition".
Last fall we went to the orchard
before I found out about Mom's cancer.
It's hard not to divide time into before cancer
and after cancer. This fall is harder for me. The slant of
the sun, the chill in the air, the baking. It all reminds
me of how carefree life was last year before the news
of cancer. Before the phone call.
There's a song on K-love that talks
about everyone being "..just one phone
call from our knees". It's so true.
I love that song line, because it's so true. Last
fall that phone call brought me to my knees in prayer.
There have been other phone calls that have brought
me to my knees in praise.
The phone call that brought me my
children, knowing their adoption was going
to be finalized. As I spent
the afternoon with my family, it was hard not to think
of the time before cancer, but then I thought
of all of the blessings that the Lord has given me.
I spent my afternoon truly thankful for all that I have.
We are all just one phone call from our knees.
That phone call can bring pain or pleasure,
but it's how we handle it that matters.
If we try to carry it on our own, it's too heavy
a burden. If we try to celebrate it
on our own, it's too shallow a feeling.
Having a Heavenly Father that knows before
we do, carries us through, and is there to listen
as we fall to our knees is something I'm so
thankful for.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home